Thursday, December 09, 2004

December 9, 2004

I generally try really hard not to let myself get stressed out. However, this week I am STRESSED! We’re at the end of the school semester, so everything is due all at once. I turned in a five-page paper about Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors on Monday night, and now I have an oral presentation and a 12-15-page paper about Oskar Kokoschka to worry about. Plus finals next week. Plus work at "Guiding Light." Luckily, I have a job that I look forward to. My time at work feels almost like my leisure time because I enjoy it so much.

And I’ve got a few really cool things to look forward to this weekend…. Friday night is the "Guiding Light Christmas Party." It will be hosted by Procter & Gamble, which owns "Guiding Light," so that means we’ll be partying along with their other show, "As the World Turns." That should be a lot of fun. Then, on Saturday, I’ve gotten a group of friends to commit to dancing at “Move Against AIDS,” a dance-a-thon that raises money the same way that the AIDS Walk does. I’m excited about that—it should be a fun night with my friends, and we’ll be doing something important.

If anyone wants to help me think of an argumentative thesis statement that has something to do with the German Expressionist Oskar Kokoschka, let me know! I’m dyin’ here!

(To contribute to "Move Against AIDS" follow this link:
https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=67982&lis=1&kntae67982=61A7D10069D5477DB3708DF8F325D8C1&supId=64020816)!


7 Comments:

Blogger DeliaDelion said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 9, 2004 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger DeliaDelion said...

Without knowing the specifics of your coursework on good Herr Kokoschka, here are some argumentative cowpies to toss around:

1. Kokoschka's mother influenced his art and other personal expression that he morphed into the Expressionist movement (ie his focus on sex and violence, submission and man v. woman in his writing and his (non-portraiture) art; did they mention Mom's response to his relationship with the Widow mahler, or the dressmaker's dummy over the semester? That type of thing).


2. Common themes about the symbolism across the board in his artistic pursuits, with greatest emphasis on his writing, of course. A simple example from a painting or sketch could give you fodder for a page examining a scene in one of his plays.



3. The head wound he received while in the cavalry changed the scope and focus of his art (I don't know this to be necessarily so-- am not that familiar with his post- versus pre-war, pre-injury art-- but it sounds like kind of a groovy premise to pursue).



Sometimes its fun to make up something preposterous and prove it is so, however ridiculous, using the evidence gleaned in class and outside research.

It shows off your knowledge, exhibits fabulous critical thinking skills and creative application of information, is fun to write, and is generally more entertaining to a term-paper-inundated prof than your run-of-the-mill Hypothesis/Supporting evidence drudgery.

Good luck, and let us know how you do!

December 9, 2004 at 6:53 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Hey,

Sorry I don't know anything about that German guy...But the party sounds fun! I'm a HUGE fan of both Guding Light and As the World Turns! Tell Mark Collier I said "hi!", he'll know what I'm talking about ;) Just kidding. Anyway, how long do you guys get off for the holidays? I bet GL is a dream job, I would LOVE to do that! It looks like so much fun and I love acting!

Thats awesome what your doing with the AIDS thing! Its great to see people who have influence on others doing such a great thing!!

Great scenes lately. Well I'll let you get back to your school work. Merry Christmas!

ERIN
erin42@starmail.com

December 9, 2004 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Wow Stephanie! Your work load sounds stressful! I'm going through the same thing too. In fact, I performed tonight in Sam Sheppard's "Buried Child." I played "Dodge," an alcoholic man in his seventies, who is full of saracastic remarks! It was so much fun! Everyone seemed to like it.

I definitely could help you with your paper because I'm minoring in Writing/English but I have no clue on who that German Expressionist is! LOL! What class is that for? Wow!

Well, good luck with finals week. I know you'll do great!

Much love,
Amber
smartie58@hotmail.com

December 9, 2004 at 9:46 PM  
Blogger kellie said...

i was just wondering why you and justin and frank were in the senses fail video.

December 11, 2004 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Rosalie said...

hey, love you on gl. i design professional websites and could hook you up with one of those "official" sites if you wish. my design site is at www.stellarsitedesigns.com and i live in nj (twenty minutes from philly/two hours from nyc), and i'd love to help you put something out there for your fan base. rsfjohn@yahoo.com.

December 12, 2004 at 6:11 AM  
Blogger Lara-Ann said...

Sounds like you could use some help on your paper! Here is a great paper on Oskar Kokoschka,it is not mine and I in no way encourage you to steal it, but use it as a reference. Hope you get the motivation and inspiration that you need.

Lara

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0422/is_1_81/ai_54517313

December 13, 2004 at 4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home