Tuesday, August 23, 2005

BUSY BEE

Wow, I’ve been a busy bee. I love it. Life is so much more exciting when there’s a lot going on! Work at Guiding Light has been occupying most of my time. I’ve had a lot of material to shoot over the last week or two, and it’s continuing to stay busy. We’re getting ready to move to a new studio in early September, so in preparation for a week off, we’re shooting extra episodes this month. That means that on many days we end up shooting scenes from two or more episodes.

Last Thursday was supposed to be a full day for me. I was a bit stressed out because I had nine scenes to shoot, most of which were difficult scenes that I knew I’d need to be crying through. However, we ended up having the strangest thing happen. A thermometer broke on one of our sets, the one where most of my scenes were supposed to take place. There was mercury all over the floor, and a haz-mat crew and the fire department were called in to clean it up and test the air for poisonous fumes. It became a really big deal, actually. Those of us who were on the sixth floor of our building, where the sets are, were basically quarantined and not allowed to leave the floor until we got the ok from the crew.

Meanwhile, the press was called. So we talked to reporters from TV and newspapers about all of the excitement. For two and a half hours, shooting was suspended. That’s a long time, considering we shoot entire episodes daily! In the end, we were advised not to use the contaminated set for 24 hours, just to be safe. Normally I would have felt a little relieved because I’d have more time to work on the tough scenes, which we’d now shoot another day. But when the announcement came that we’d be shooting those scenes the next day, I was anything but relieved. I was already scheduled to shoot two full episodes of really difficult material, and now it’d be three full episodes.

Sometimes my friends tease me and say that what we do on soaps is not really work, so much as it is play. And much of the time I feel like, even though our jobs are not easy, we do get to have a lot of fun. However, on a day like last Friday, when I had like fifteen scenes that I’d prepared in one night, that I was going to need to convincingly play in the course of a few short hours, my work was not easy. It’s days like that when you realize the hard work that’s really involved in daytime. Luckily, the day went really well. I concentrated on little pieces of my script at a time, and left the day feeling really good about how it all turned out.

This week and next are going to be really busy, too, with more pre-taping of episodes and whatnot. But, like I said, I love being busy!

I registered for school last week. I had put it off for a while, but finally I got my butt up to school and got it all taken care of. Classes start right after Labor Day. I registered for two classes (which I’ve discovered, through trial and error, is the most I can handle while working so much on Guiding Light.) On Tuesday nights I’ll be taking Victorian Literature, a course that counts towards my major in English. On Wednesdays (as long as I’m granted permission to over-tally into a full class), I’ll be taking Images of World War II, which fulfills one of many core requirements.

Since I didn’t take any summer classes this year, I’ve had just enough time away from school to get excited about going back. I got a new book bag, and I got my books. I’m all set now. And I’ve promised myself that, this semester, I’m going to work on not procrastinating so much. It’s such a bad habit of mine, and I realize that life would be so much easier for me during the semester if I just never put things off until the last minute. Wish me luck with that!

Guiding Light has an exciting event coming up on September 10th. It’s called “Guiding Light Super Saturday,” and it’s going to be at Paramount’s King’s Dominion in Richmond, VA. Most of the cast is going to be there, and there’s a lot of fun stuff planned for that day. I encourage you all to visit CBS.com for details. The more people that come, the merrier! It’d make a great, short weekend get-away. If any of you can join us, that’d be awesome! So check that out for sure.

Until next time, stay cool, and enjoy what’s left of the summer time!

8 Comments:

Blogger Rosalie said...

victorian lit? i just had a horrible flashback. when i was in college studying english, yeah, that was my least favorite course ever. i struggled with that more than any course over my four years. i wish you better luck!

August 23, 2005 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Well, one thing for sure...I'll be looking forward to viewing those episodes! That is a lot having to shoot three in one day, but on the good side, you got all the crying covered in one day. I don't know much about acting and its not something I'm personally interested in doing, but I have done a few plays and one of them was very emotional. After 4 nights of that I felt so extremely drained, physically and emotionally. So I guess getting it all done in one day would be good in that respect.

Oh, and I will be seeing you at King's Dominion. That's only about 3 hours from me, so it worked out nicely! See you then!

August 23, 2005 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Amy Serbonich said...

I am so glad that you have time to write about Guiding Light in your blog. It is very exciting to hear about it! I think that you are a great actress on Guiding Light and I love your scenes with Tom P. I can't stop watching it daily! I am hooked! Keep up the good work!

August 23, 2005 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger Louise said...

it so great to read about you and how you spend your time at and away from the studio.

It somehow brings us closer to you and to Tammy. I have watched Guiding Light it seems like forever, I am in my sixties and enjoy both the show and your character. You do such a great job. Keep up the good work.

Louise

August 23, 2005 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger A Girl's Gotta said...

I'll be at Kings Dominion! Finally, me living in Richmond comes in handy. :) I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you.

I'm also excited for GL tomorrow - the previews looked like we'll be seeing another Jammy kiss. HOT!

August 23, 2005 at 5:50 PM  
Blogger Tree said...

Wonderful scenes at the bar today (8/24) with Tammy and Jon.

I'm not sure if it was me or the fire - but my TV was certainly ready to combust this time!

(Let me get this straight: you actually get PAID to kiss Tom P. and Scott B. ... any idea how many of us would do it for FREE?)

Good luck this semester - and have fun at King's Dominion, all you lucky east-coasters!

Tree

August 24, 2005 at 3:05 PM  
Blogger Bri said...

Hey Stephanie, I just saw your site from the GL webpage and I really enjoy reading about GL and your life. Sounds like you have a full load. I hope your move went well. I moved to another state and transferred colleges. It is tough and I did it all for love. Maybe I need to be on a soap opera...hehee. I cannot wait to see more of you and Tom. Ya'll work great together. Is the cast coming to Illinois anytime soon. I have been watching GL since I was four with my grandmother. Times have changed, but it would be nice to meet everyone. You are all so fabulous. Keep up the hard work!! Bri-Illinois

August 26, 2005 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Lara-Ann said...

Hey- It's been awahile since I've had anything to respond to on your blog- so I thought I would give you a couple really simple recipes that my husband and I totally love.

1. One-Pot Spaghetti!
What you need-
Beef or sausage (we use italian sausage)

Mushrooms- canned or fresh (fresh are better if you like mushrooms)

Onion- chopped

A pinch (or 1/8 tsp approx.) of garlic powder)

1 can can of chicken or beef broth

about 2 cups of water

6oz tomamto paste can
a pinch (1tsp approx.) dried oregano (crushed)

1/2 a pinch of dried basil

pepper to taste

dried spaghetti and parmesean cheese

-
step 1- cook the meat- add fresh mushrooms- onion and garlic

step 2- add broth, water, tomato paste, oregano, basil and pepper.

after its boiling add your spaghetti a little at a time- and cook like normal at a boil for about 1 1/2 minutes then reduce heat and boil it gently for about 15 minutes. (if you want the sauce thicker - let it sit longer at a slow gentle boil.)

And the fast wat to make it- and still very yummy is to do your meat, add the broth (it's so muh better than plain water!) add your spghetti- drain and add canned sauce- But there's no need to drain anything with the recipe above

Maybe I'll stop with one that is kinda long. Enjoy.

August 31, 2005 at 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home